Amanda-Users

Re: amanda timeouts and weirdness solved!

2005-08-24 13:34:44
Subject: Re: amanda timeouts and weirdness solved!
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: Graeme Humphries <graeme.humphries AT vcom DOT com>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 12:25:47 -0500
--On Wednesday, August 24, 2005 11:02:47 -0600 Graeme Humphries
<graeme.humphries AT vcom DOT com> wrote:

> Frank Smith wrote:
>
>> I don't think Amanda checks all your mounts.  However, many filesystem
>> operations 'stat' their way up the directory structure to /, and if
>> you mount things directly in / (such as /remotedir) instead of down
>> a level (/mnt/remotedir) many of those ops will hang if that mount
>> is hung.  Not sure if this even applies in your situation, it's just
>> something I've observed with hung NFS mounts in /.
>>

> This particular case was mounted under /tmp/somedir, and amanda's set to
> backup / on that box, so that could be it.

I think Paul's point is valid about tar's one-filesystem flag, I haven't
tried it, but perhaps if you exclude ./tmp it won't stat /tmp/somedir.
The real solution, of course, is to not have hung mounts ;-).

>> Amanda does do a df of a couple of places (indexdir and tmp perhaps?)
>> but I doubt those would hang unless they happened to be on your hung
>> mount.
>>

> Doesn't df always scan all the mounted filesystems? Or can you restrict it?

If you call df with a filename or directory argument it only reports on
the mount point containing it.

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                      fsmith AT hoovers DOT com
Sr. Systems Administrator                       Voice: 512-374-4673