Amanda-Users

Re: amanda timeouts and weirdness solved!

2005-08-24 12:41:21
Subject: Re: amanda timeouts and weirdness solved!
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Graeme Humphries <graeme.humphries AT vcom DOT com>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 18:32:19 +0200
Graeme Humphries wrote:
So, you guys may recall I was having problems with amcheck and amdump taking ridiculously long. Well, it turns out that because on that client box, there was a dead Samba mount. As you guys know, when there's a Samba mount that's timed out, or the remote machine is unavailable, any operation checking mounted partitions takes forever and eventually times out.

So... what in Amanda is checking mounted partitions on every operation, and can we limit to only the partitions we're actually backing up? :)

That's probably gnutar itself.  Gnutar runs with --one-filesystem
option, but to be able to see when partitions are crossed, gnutar needs
to do a check.  Yes, and that can hang.

Do you really need smbmounts? Apparently not, because days can pass without anyone noticing the dead mount... :-)

* I think I've got the hang of it now:  exit, ^D, ^C, ^\, ^Z, ^Q, ^^, *
* F6, quit, ZZ, :q, :q!, M-Z, ^X^C, logoff, logout, close, bye, /bye, *
* init 0, kill -9 1, Alt-F4, Ctrl-Alt-Del, AltGr-NumLock, Stop-A, ... *