Amanda-Users

Re: tape drive repair question

2005-08-22 03:56:46
Subject: Re: tape drive repair question
From: Michael Loftis <mloftis AT wgops DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 01:45:49 -0600

--On August 22, 2005 3:14:04 AM -0400 Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com> wrote:

Not strictly amanda related, but I can't
use my amanda setup until it is resolved.

I've got an HP DDS3 autoloader (SureStore 6x24) and
need to have it serviced or do something myself.

The drive uses a plastic magazine to hold 6 tape
cartridges, 3 each in the front and rear.  During
normal operation the magazine must be rotated 180
degrees to reach the tapes at the other end.  This
movement is what is failing.

The rotation begins and seems to stick about 1/3
of the way around.  If I operate the drive without
a cover, I can manually assist the operation and
it completes.  If it was only a mechanical device
I'd try spraying some lubricant.  But that is
probably not a good idea inside a tape drive ;)

I've never serviced one of these units, however, in general, what is used is a white lithium grease compound for lubrication. Sometimes it may have a teflon component to it as well (that is as part of the grease). This is a 'general purpose' type of lubricant for computer stuff. HP uses it in their printers, on both plastic and metal parts. It's very neutral, and not very tacky to dust usually so it stays clean.

Assuming it's something of that nature and not a failing/failed servomotor or other drive motor for the movement of the mechanism it *should* be fairly easy to service. However, as I said, I'm unfamiliar with this particular unit.

Sorry I can't offer any other help....Maybe someone more knowledgeable will kick in :)