Amanda-Users

Increasing Restore Speed

2005-08-19 10:01:57
Subject: Increasing Restore Speed
From: "Brian E. Seppanen" <seppy AT chartermi DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 09:50:37 -0400 (EDT)
Hi:

I'm running amanda 2.4.4p3 on a solaris 9 Ultra2 and backing up several remote linux and solaris hosts to an HP Tape Library device. Everything in regards to the backups seems to be working ok.

In my current situation I have to restore 21Gb of data within a limited timeframe to a remote host on the same network segment. The last trial that I ran I got at max 2.5Mbps restore speed which ended up being close to 24 hours to restore completely.

All devices are communicating at 100 full duplex with no errors on switches or hosts. With that I'm left thinking that the limiting factor is most likely getting the data off of the tape. I do know that amanda can backup data to disk like a mofo, I routinely get the 60mbps which I set as my max when backing up to holding disk.

That begs the question of if I can get 60mbps backing up to disk, can I restore the file from tape to disk locally and then use amrecover on the remote host to read directly from the disk instead of the tape?

can I do something like

/usr/local/sbin/amrestore -f1 /dev/rmt/1mn hostname diskname 20050819

On the local system

On the remote system and I use amrecover like
/usr/local/sbin/amrecover -C hostname -s index.server -t tape.server -d restored-filename

Any ideas, hints, tips, tricks appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian Seppanen
608.826.1464