Amanda-Users

Re: Increasing Restore Speed

2005-08-19 11:36:50
Subject: Re: Increasing Restore Speed
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 11:25:01 -0400
On Fri, Aug 19, 2005 at 09:50:37AM -0400, Brian E. Seppanen wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I'm running amanda 2.4.4p3 on a solaris 9 Ultra2 and backing up several
> remote linux and solaris hosts to an HP Tape Library device.    Everything
> in regards to the backups seems to be working ok.
>
> In my current situation I have to restore 21Gb of data within a limited
> timeframe to a remote host on the same network segment.    The last trial
> that I ran I got at max 2.5Mbps restore speed which  ended up being close
> to 24 hours to restore completely.
>
> All devices are communicating at 100 full duplex with no errors on
> switches or hosts.    With that I'm left thinking that the limiting factor
> is most likely getting the data off of the tape.    I do know that amanda
> can backup data to disk like a mofo, I routinely get the 60mbps which I
> set as my max when backing up to holding disk.
>
> That begs the question of if I can get 60mbps backing up to disk, can I
> restore the file from tape to disk locally and then use amrecover on the
> remote host to read directly from the disk instead of the tape?
>
> can I do something like
>
> /usr/local/sbin/amrestore -f1 /dev/rmt/1mn hostname diskname 20050819
>
> On the local system
>
> On the remote system and I use amrecover like
> /usr/local/sbin/amrecover -C hostname -s index.server -t tape.server -d
> restored-filename
>
> Any ideas, hints, tips, tricks appreciated.

If you are "restoring" 21GB, that sounds like entire DLEs/filesystems.
amrecover is used more for selected files or directory trees.

Perhaps your greatest speedup could come from using amrestore to extract
the raw archive from tape, transfering that to the client as a single
file, then using tar/restore (with gunzip as needed) to expand the entire
archive locally.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)