Amanda-Users

Re: amrecover problem

2005-08-02 10:29:24
Subject: Re: amrecover problem
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 10:22:25 -0400
On Tue, Aug 02, 2005 at 09:46:02AM -0400, Lei Zhong wrote:
> Thanks for the help.  Settape only sets the server/device.  I read the
> man pages several times.  I couldn't find info about how to specify
> which tape you want to restore from in amrecover.  Just in case some
> people didn't read my previous emails.  Here is what I was trying to do.
> I did four full backups on the same day.  When I tried to restore using
> amrecover, it always asked for the first backup tape.  How can I change
> to a different backup tape?

You don't.  There is no functionallity "in amrecover" for the
operator to specify the tape.  amrecover is designed to look
at the index files and based on the parameters pick a tape
for you.  As amanda was not designed with a consideration of
multiple runs on the same date, the selection process of amrecover
doesn't have the ability to distinguish "the first/second/third/fourth"
dump of a single day.

All my comments that follow are pure speculation.
Use at your own risk as I don't know the results.

Previously I suggested amrmtape if you only will ever want one
particular backup from that day.  Still a possibility.

Previously I mentioned manual backup using well described
procedures including amrestore/dd/gzip/tar/mt/...

One other possibility occured to me.  If you know you want
to recover files from a particular DLE, let's say "host:/usr",
check the index directory for that DLE.  I don't know what
happens to the indexes when you run multiple dumps on the same
day.  I think normally they are named simply for the date and
level like "20030818_0.gz".  But if there is some identifier
of your first through fourth dump of the day, you could <try>
to get the one you want by renaming the undesired index files.
It may also require renaming the undesired log files as well.

Basically what I'm suggesting is to "hide" all the info that
you don't want amrecover to consider.  But no guarentees that
it will work.  I'm certain the manual restoration should work.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)