Amanda-Users

Monitoring multiple backup servers

2005-08-02 01:47:09
Subject: Monitoring multiple backup servers
From: Ram Smith <ram AT tilda.com DOT au>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 15:29:47 +1000
G'day list,

I've just looked over the last few years of the amanda-users list but
havn't seen anything related to what i'm thinking of here.

Has anyone tried monitoring amanda from within nagios?
[ http://www.nagios.org ]

I'm responsible for over 15 distinct _remote_ amanda instalations.
Currently i run a script hourly (from cron on each server) to check
that the correct tape is in the drive for the next backup run and if not i
email the onsite tape changer and bug them to put the correct tape in the
drive. In the afternoon the script emails if me if the tape still hasn't
been put in the drive.

I figured it would be pretty straight forward to write some nagios plugins to
monitor wether the correct tape was in the drive or not in preparation
for each backup run.

The reason i'm asking this list as opposed to the nagios list is that
the amanda lists would be more aware of the general issues involved and
wether this would even be a good idea.

I'm pretty sure there aren't any web based amanda reporting applications
that handle multiple remote instances. Are there any?

I did see an interesting python script that would collate the reports
amanda sends via email, however nagios would give me historical and
"live" information in the one interface.

Also, I know amanda already generates reports that you can format using
templates, but i'm thinking it would be cool to either parse these reports
or get the data some other way, like from the amanda logs, and store the
success
or failure of dumps to nagios as well.

So, thats the idea. Am i missing something in amanda that would make
this idea pointless?

As a summary, write nagios plugins to:
 - report success/failure on the correct tape in the drive (hourly)
 - report on the success/failure of dumps for each item in the disklist.
   (daily)

Cheers,

ram.

---
ram smith, systems and technical services manager
tilda communications a division of software holdings pty ltd
p (02) 9280 0258 f (02) 9280 0259 e ram AT tilda.com DOT au w
http://www.tilda.com.au
level 1, 10 grafton st chippendale nsw 2008