Amanda-Users

Problems with amverifyrun

2005-07-08 04:27:17
Subject: Problems with amverifyrun
From: "MATILDA MATILDA" <MATILDA AT grandel DOT de>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2005 10:18:53 +0200
Hi all,

hopefully someone can help me with the following problem I have:

- I'm using amanda with a tape library.
- I have configured 4 tapes per run
- Backup is working normal (tapes are being skiped as needed)
- I'm happy so far

After backup I run amverifyrun to check the backup. Now I have the
following situation and I don't know if this behaviour is intended or I'm
doing something wrong.

While making the backup, amanda probably hits the end of the tape.
That means a tape file header is written, but the tar in that file is not
complete. Amanda starts over to backup this tar-file to the next tape
which works fine. But amverifyrun reads any file it finds and tries to
read the tar file in there. On the very last file (which was not written
entirely) amverify gets an error (of course). Now amverify does some
tries to recover, gives up and starts over to "verify" the files on the
new tape. Amverify starts there with the file which was written incompletely
on the tape before.
So: Logically everything is O.K. because all files which were written completely
can be read completetly, but technically some errors happen in the
amverifyrun. So amverify sends a report stating many many error.

My question: Is there a way to check that backup so that I get an error when
there is really an error in the backup set? In this context error means to me
that
I probably can't restore alle tar-files I backed up before.

Thank you in advance
Andreas