Amanda-Users

Re: Problems with amverifyrun

2005-07-08 11:08:31
Subject: Re: Problems with amverifyrun
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2005 10:58:25 -0400
On Friday 08 July 2005 09:44, Jon LaBadie wrote:
>On Fri, Jul 08, 2005 at 10:18:53AM +0200, MATILDA MATILDA wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> After backup I run amverifyrun to check the backup. Now I have the
>> following situation and I don't know if this behaviour is intended
>> or I'm doing something wrong.
>
>brief synopsis:
>  on a multi-tape run
>  amverify notes an incomplete dump file at the end of a tape
>  marks that as an error
>  finds the complete dump file on the next tape
>  does not remove the earlier error
>  thus generates a report showing errors
>
>> My question: Is there a way to check that backup so that I get an
>> error when there is really an error in the backup set? In this
>> context error means to me that I probably can't restore alle
>> tar-files I backed up before.
>
>Seems to me that your desired behavior would be reasonable.
>
>It could be a real bear to test, having to read through entire tapes
>before getting to the test point.
>
>I hope someone with a vtape test setup can duplicate the problem and
>use that as a testbed instead.

I'm running vtapes here.  This was indeed true the last time I tried
runtapes=2, Jon.  There were also some other amverifyish housekeeping
problems whose details I don't recall now as that was several (6+)
months back up the log and none of the examples now exist.

To me, the obvious cure would be to remove the partial file, a piece
of cake in a vtape setup, but in a tape environment, that would
require keeping track of the fm's so that a backspace could be done
and the partial files header overwritten with an EOT marker & 32k
of /dev/zero before going on to the next tape in the magazine &
restarting the failed file.  Thats a lot of wear and tear on both the
tape and the drive IMO, so the real cure should be done in amverify
itself.

The question then is: can amrecover/amrestore cope properly with this
scenario?  I do not know, having never tested that exact scenario.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
message by Gene Heskett are: