Amanda-Users

Re: Amrecover: No index records for disk for specified date: Done

2005-04-28 19:57:46
Subject: Re: Amrecover: No index records for disk for specified date: Done
From: "Tanniel Simonian" <simonian AT library.ucr DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 16:47:14 -0700 (PDT)
Jon LaBadie said:
> On Wed, Apr 27, 2005 at 11:46:49AM -0700, Tanniel Simonian wrote:
>> Hello Group,
>>
>> I tend to figure things out on my own fairly quickly, however I can't
>> seem
>> to figure this problem out.
>>
>> I have a tape that I archived on February 25th, 2005.
>>
>> My tape cycle is 5 weeks and therefore February 25th has long been gone.
>
> A tapecycle has no units.
> It is a simple integer, number of tapes in rotation.
>

>> I had stopped backing up this particular host on that date due to
>> stability issues. However, I need to restore a tar'd file from this tape
>> off that host.
>>

> How do you mean you "archived" that tape?  Is that a different
> archive config?  Or did you just pull it out of rotation?
> Possibly replacing it with another of the same label so
> amanda thinks it might have been overwritten?

Pulled the tape out of rotation and placed a new tape with the same label.

>> At first I figured that since the tape was old, that the index record
>> has
>> been rotated or removed. I check
>> /var/lib/amanda/xes/index/brimstone/sdb1
>> and noticed that the index file does index exist for that date.
>
> Was that a level 0?  I wonder if a level  is needed for amrecover
> to work - I don't know the answer.

Yes the tape is a level 0.

> Does it have a list of files?  Or might the dump have failed that day?
> You mentioned some type of stability problems.

The instability did not affect the backups of that particular machine. The
instability was due to old hardware and the proactive need to replace it.

>> If it is not possible to use amrecover at this point, someone one to
>> point
>> me on how to restore a file from tape that has a combination of zipped
>> tar's and dumps.
>
> Joshua pointed you in the right direction.

Yes, thanks for the point. I was able to find the correct tape file and
restore all the files from the tape. Then grabbed what I needed and
deleted the rest. Not as elegant as the interactive amrestore or
amrecover, but it got the job done.

Thanks for the responses.