Amanda-Users

Re: Amrecover: No index records for disk for specified date

2005-04-27 15:43:55
Subject: Re: Amrecover: No index records for disk for specified date
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 15:33:45 -0400
On Wed, Apr 27, 2005 at 11:46:49AM -0700, Tanniel Simonian wrote:
> Hello Group,
>
> I tend to figure things out on my own fairly quickly, however I can't seem
> to figure this problem out.
>
> I have a tape that I archived on February 25th, 2005.
>
> My tape cycle is 5 weeks and therefore February 25th has long been gone.

A tapecycle has no units.
It is a simple integer, number of tapes in rotation.

> I had stopped backing up this particular host on that date due to
> stability issues. However, I need to restore a tar'd file from this tape
> off that host.

How do you mean you "archived" that tape?  Is that a different
archive config?  Or did you just pull it out of rotation?
Possibly replacing it with another of the same label so
amanda thinks it might have been overwritten?

> At first I figured that since the tape was old, that the index record has
> been rotated or removed. I check /var/lib/amanda/xes/index/brimstone/sdb1
> and noticed that the index file does index exist for that date.

Was that a level 0?  I wonder if a level 0 is needed for amrecover
to work - I don't know the answer.

Does it have a list of files?  Or might the dump have failed that day?
You mentioned some type of stability problems.

> If it is not possible to use amrecover at this point, someone one to point
> me on how to restore a file from tape that has a combination of zipped
> tar's and dumps.

Joshua pointed you in the right direction.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)