Amanda-Users

Amrecover: No index records for disk for specified date

2005-04-27 15:01:38
Subject: Amrecover: No index records for disk for specified date
From: "Tanniel Simonian" <simonian AT library.ucr DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 11:46:49 -0700 (PDT)
Hello Group,

I tend to figure things out on my own fairly quickly, however I can't seem
to figure this problem out.

I have a tape that I archived on February 25th, 2005.

My tape cycle is 5 weeks and therefore February 25th has long been gone.

I had stopped backing up this particular host on that date due to
stability issues. However, I need to restore a tar'd file from this tape
off that host.

I run amrecover -C xes

setdate 2005-02-25
sethost brimstone
setdisk sdb1

and this message pops up:
No index records for disk for specified date
If date correct, notify system administrator

At first I figured that since the tape was old, that the index record has
been rotated or removed. I check /var/lib/amanda/xes/index/brimstone/sdb1
and noticed that the index file does index exist for that date.

My question is this. If the tapecycle (which I tried to change temporarily
in the config but no such luck) is less than the date you're trying to
restore, will amanda not be able to restore it and automatically fail with
the message above?

Or am I not doing something wrong?

If it is not possible to use amrecover at this point, someone one to point
me on how to restore a file from tape that has a combination of zipped
tar's and dumps.

Thanks for any knowledge.