Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda and Star

2005-04-25 16:12:24
Subject: Re: Amanda and Star
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 16:02:42 -0400
On Mon, Apr 25, 2005 at 01:50:49PM -0500, Bryan K. Walton wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 25, 2005 at 01:29:59PM -0400, Jon LaBadie wrote:
> >
> > If you are using samba, you are not using gnutar.
> > Samba has its own code to do "tar-like" archives.
>
> Hi Jon,
>       While we are using Samba on our network (Samba is sharing the
> ACL'd files), Amanda is not using Samba to backup or restore these
> files.  These ACL'd files sit on an ext3 filesystem on one of the
> backup server's local hard drives.  So, amanda is using gnu tar to
> backup local files that just so happen to be using Windows ACLs.

My bad assumption since you mentioned using samba in your environment
that samba was involved in the backups in question.

Any reason not to use dump on the ext3 FS?  Perhaps another
bad assumption, but I assume it preserves acl's.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)