Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda and Star

2005-04-25 13:44:06
Subject: Re: Amanda and Star
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 13:29:59 -0400
On Mon, Apr 25, 2005 at 10:55:46AM -0500, Bryan K. Walton wrote:
> We have been successfully using Amanda to backup the data on our
> network (comprised of both linux and windows boxes) for over a year
> now.  We are using Samba with Windows ACLs on one of our servers.
> Just this morning I discovered that Gnu Tar doesn't successfully
> backup/restore windows acls.  And it appears that I need to be using
> star instead of tar.  Can I make this change without building Amanda
> from source?  We are currently using the amanda-server and
> amanda-client packages from Debian testing.

If you are using samba, you are not using gnutar.
Samba has its own code to do "tar-like" archives.

The only way I know of to get an "accurate" backup of windows
systems is to use a Windows-based backup program that outputs
its results into a file.  Then that file can be saved onto
tape by amanda.  Restores would similarly be an unpleasant,
two-step process.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)