Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda vs Homegrown

2005-04-25 00:44:08
Subject: Re: Amanda vs Homegrown
From: Paddy Sreenivasan <paddy.sreenivasan AT gmail DOT com>
To: Peter Mueller <peter.mueller.ls AT elimpex DOT com>
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2005 19:20:31 -0700
On 4/21/05, Peter Mueller <peter.mueller.ls AT elimpex DOT com> wrote:
> Hi!
>

> Mitch Collinsworth wrote:
>

> > On Thu, 21 Apr 2005, Mark Lidstone wrote:
> >
> >> It would still be worth pointing out what a huge security risk the rcp
> >> command is, and if they insist on using their scripts at least get them
> >> to remove the r* accounts setup stuff and use something like rsync over
> >> an encrypted channel (why bother protecting the file on the disk if
> >> you're going to potentially transfer it in plain text over the network).
> >

> > So have you modified amanda to encrypt your network transfers?
> > It doesn't do that out of the box you know.
> >
> Dont know if there is an Amanda-wish-list somewhere, but using ssh, ssl
> or something similar for the client-server connection would be a nice
> goddie.

I noticed that amanda 2.5 source tree has support for ssh between
server and client using the security API described in the documentation.

I'm planning to add SSL support for communication. Is anyone
working on SSL? I do not wish to redo the work if someone
else is working on this feature and instead work with the
developer.

Paddy