Amanda-Users

RE: Amanda vs Homegrown

2005-04-21 07:10:50
Subject: RE: Amanda vs Homegrown
From: "Mark Lidstone" <mark.lidstone AT bmtseatech.co DOT uk>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 11:44:38 +0100
Hi Mike,

Generally, if you can't justify it yourself I'm wondering why you're
using Amanda.

But anyway, here's something that may be worth mentioning: business
continuity.

The backups will be used in the event that something catastrophic has
happened.  Let's say that the building has burned down and the guy that
did the backup scripts is away on business/holiday.

With amanda, all you have to do is get some machines up and running and
restore from your offsite backup (you are taking a backup offsite,
aren't you? - quick note: don't completely trust fire safes) using an
easily obtainable backup package.  After this kind of critical failure
amanda needs a single restore operation (assuming a full backup on one
media) and everything ends up hunky-dory as fast as the tape
drive/network can work.  It can't be up and running any faster than
this.

With the hand-rolled scripts it could easily take someone a few days to
figure out where everything should be going, or for the guy to wrote
them to get back/talk someone through it over the phone.  The company is
going to lose money already from the original disaster, but it would
lose even more if people can't carry on working as soon as possible.

I'm currently using "hand-rolled" scripts here on my Windows servers,
but that's because I don't want a restore from tape to end up broken by
some kind of star/linux/smb/ntfs complication.  Once ntbackup has backed
up to a single bkf file (including NTFS permissions and the like),
Amanda is free to back it up to tape.  It adds an extra level of
complication, but ntbackup stores the original location in the bkf file
which makes it simple for someone else to restore.

However, the customer is still the customer and if they decide they
aren't happy with amanda, or more importantly that they don't trust it,
you might find that you have to go against your gut feeling and do what
they want.

It would still be worth pointing out what a huge security risk the rcp
command is, and if they insist on using their scripts at least get them
to remove the r* accounts setup stuff and use something like rsync over
an encrypted channel (why bother protecting the file on the disk if
you're going to potentially transfer it in plain text over the network).

One other thing.  If you have space on the backup media and enough time
to do a complete backup every night, why would you want to do anything
other than a full backup?

I hope this helps,

Mark Lidstone
IT and Network Support Administrator

BMT SeaTech Ltd
Grove House, Meridians Cross, 7 Ocean Way
Ocean Village, Southampton.  SO14 3TJ. UK
Tel: +44 (0)23 8063 5122
Fax: +44 (0)23 8063 5144

E-Mail:  mailto:mark.lidstone AT bmtseatech.co DOT uk
Website: www.bmtseatech.co.uk
==
Confidentiality Notice and Disclaimer:
The contents of this e-mail and any attachments are intended only for
the
use of the e-mail addressee(s) shown. If you are not that person, or one
of those persons, you are not allowed to take any action based upon it
or
to copy it, forward, distribute or disclose the contents of it and you
should please delete it from your system. BMT SeaTech Limited does not
accept liability for any errors or omissions in the context of this
e-mail
or its attachments which arise as a result of Internet transmission, nor
accept liability for statements which are those of the author and not
clearly made on behalf of BMT SeaTech Limited.
==