Amanda-Users

data timeout errors

2005-04-25 05:16:56
Subject: data timeout errors
From: Matthew Claridge <mclaridge AT rwa-net.co DOT uk>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 09:56:40 +0100
Hi,

Hope some one can help with this little problem.....

We have amanda backing up various Samba shares and some local Linux partitions. This has been working reliably for quite some time now. We are currently using amanda-2.4.4 and samba-2.2.8

Recently amanda is reporting data timeout errors for both the samba and local shares:

FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
  mickey.rwa //saturn/Profiles lev 0 FAILED [data timeout]
  mickey.rwa /usr/local lev 0 FAILED [data timeout]
  mickey.rwa //saturn/Homedirs lev 0 FAILED [data timeout]
  mickey.rwa //saturn/GoldMine lev 0 FAILED [data timeout]
  mickey.rwa //saturn/Office lev 0 FAILED [data timeout]
  mickey.rwa //saturn/Business lev 0 FAILED [data timeout]
  mickey.rwa //saturn/mssql lev 0 FAILED [data timeout]
  mickey.rwa //saturn/Docs lev 0 FAILED [data timeout]
  mickey.rwa //saturn/Gordano lev 0 FAILED [data timeout]
  mickey.rwa //saturn/NetTemp lev 0 FAILED [data timeout]
  mickey.rwa //saturn/NetTemp lev 0 FAILED [dump to tape failed]

I've tried increasing the dtimeout value, restarting Samba and restarting the windows server, all to no avail. Sometimes the dump fails completely, other times it does write a number of bytes to disk but still comes up with this error.

Searches on this list and the 'Net have been fruitless - anyone have any ideas what I can try next?

cheers
Matt