Amanda-Users

Amanda vs Homegrown

2005-04-20 14:19:15
Subject: Amanda vs Homegrown
From: Mike <miket AT silvercrk DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 11:04:43 -0700
Well, I have spent a few days converting a client from a bunch of hand rolled scripts that rcp files all over the place, to amanda. All the while saying that this will be better, this is good, this is how it should work. Of course I couldn't complete it in a day, and there were issues of configuration. So now that I am mostly complete and am ready to put this project away.....

The client comes in today and says "this is taking entirely too long (to get working), and I want a single piece of media with a full backup of everything and my scripts were working just fine"..

To which I say, Uhhh, I mean I was dumbfounded, stopped in my tracks by such a ludicrous statement. So.....

Does anyone have some good business case stuff or other verbage of a paragraph or three that I can use to convince this person that an actual backup program is better in all ways than hand rolled scripts, and that a full backup on a single piece of media may look attractive, but actually is not???