Amanda-Users

Force "next tape" ?

2005-04-20 12:05:08
Subject: Force "next tape" ?
From: Brian Cuttler <brian AT wadsworth DOT org>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org, Chris Knight <knight AT wadsworth DOT org>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 11:44:37 -0400
Hello Amanda users,

I'm running 2.4.2p2 on an SGI with a jukebox/SDLT. I've divided a
multiterrabyte drive into tar dumps but one of the users occupies
close to 200 gig of space.

While I could probably find a way to subdivide the files under that
directory (we've already requested that the user break their files,
some 250+ Gig, into both /usr5/joy and the new /usr5/joy2) we have
the added problem of limited work area.

Because the DLE dumps direct-to-tape beccause of limited work area
we will likely hit EOF and amanda will have to restart the tar after
advancing to the next tape in the jukebox. [As determined by prior
discussion on this list]

Does amanda already know if the DLE will not fit and advance the
tape proactively or will it try to fill the tape and then restart
if it failes to completely write it ?

If not is there a way to force a new tape prior to starting this DLE ?

I'd also like to save this DLE for last, how is that best accomplished ?

                                                thank you,

                                                Brian
---
   Brian R Cuttler                 brian.cuttler AT wadsworth DOT org