Amanda-Users

Re: Example of amanda implement the infinite grandfather-father-son strategy dumpcycle.

2005-04-13 11:38:32
Subject: Re: Example of amanda implement the infinite grandfather-father-son strategy dumpcycle.
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: chuck AT smtl.co DOT uk
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 17:12:49 +0200
Chuck Amadi wrote:
Hi agian

I now got it.

almost :-)

My Friday tapes i.e weeklySets their amanda.conf will have level 0 and thus I just pull out the last Friday of the month for archiving.
and run amlabel to create the pulled tape.

dumpcycle 5 # 4/5 Friday tapes last tape to be pulled.
runspercycle 5 # 4 tapes for mon to thurs in rotation
tapecycle 14 # one tape for errors and one for cleaning before being
overwritten.

maxdumps 1

You probably want:

dumpcycle 0     # just to force a full dump allways
runspercycle 1  # just a number
tapecycle 14    # how many tapes you have in this config

I think you're mixing up the meaning of maxdumps with something else:
this has little to do with the scheduling of backups, only with
concurrency during a run.

My Mon to Thursday dailysets will have their unqiue amanda.conf file

dumpcycle 5
runspercycle 4 # 4 tapes for mon to thurs.
tapecycle 6 # tape for errors and one for cleaning

dumpcycle 1 week
runspercycle 4
tapecycle  6

Im getting there.