Amanda-Users

Re: Example of amanda implement the infinite grandfather-father-son strategy dumpcycle.

2005-04-13 10:51:40
Subject: Re: Example of amanda implement the infinite grandfather-father-son strategy dumpcycle.
From: Chuck Amadi <chuck AT smtl.co DOT uk>
To: Amanda List <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 15:34:08 +0100
Hi agian

I now got it.

My Friday tapes i.e weeklySets their amanda.conf will have level 0
and thus I just pull out the last Friday of the month for archiving.
and run amlabel to create the pulled tape.

dumpcycle 5 # 4/5 Friday tapes last tape to be pulled.
runspercycle 5 # 4 tapes for mon to thurs in rotation
tapecycle 14 # one tape for errors and one for cleaning before being
overwritten.

maxdumps 1

My Mon to Thursday dailysets will have their unqiue amanda.conf file

dumpcycle 5
runspercycle 4 # 4 tapes for mon to thurs.
tapecycle 6 # tape for errors and one for cleaning

Im getting there.

Cheers
Chuck

.On Wed, 2005-04-13 at 11:40 +0100, Martin Hepworth wrote:
> Chuck
>
> Amanda does it's own cycling of full and incremental backups, tying to
> get an even backup size/time over the tape sets.
>
> If you want to do 'permanent archive' sets (we do) then you need a
> separate config  that only does level 0 backups and has the tapes marked
> as don't reuse.
>
> Have a read of the documentation and esp how the planner handles
> incrementals/full backups.
>
> --
> Martin Hepworth
> Snr Systems Administrator
> Solid State Logic
> Tel: +44 (0)1865 842300
>

> Chuck Amadi wrote:
> > Has anyone example of amanda implement the infinite
> > grandfather-father-son strategy.
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > Chuck

> the system manager.
>
> This footnote confirms that this email message has been swept
> for the presence of computer viruses and is believed to be clean.

Unix/ Linux Systems Administrator

The Surgical Material Testing Laboratory (SMTL),
Princess of Wales Hospital
Coity Road
Bridgend,
United Kingdom, CF31 1RQ.