Amanda-Users

Re: Example of amanda implement the infinite grandfather-father-son strategy dumpcycle.

2005-04-13 10:01:58
Subject: Re: Example of amanda implement the infinite grandfather-father-son strategy dumpcycle.
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: Amanda List <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 09:50:13 -0400
On Wed, Apr 13, 2005 at 12:22:49PM +0100, Chuck Amadi wrote:
> Hi Yes I have but before I run my first test I would like confirmation
> that my amanda.conf handle incremental monday to thursday and a full
> backup on a friday and I will pull out the last friday of that month.
>
> dumpcycle 1 week # Incremental weekday mon-thurs dump only
> runpercycle 5 # Friday Full dump and thus I will pull out for
> archives(12 tapes).
>
> tapecycle 25 # Number of tapes in circulation to be overwritten.
> # NB 3 tapes for error/ampflush and one tape for cleaning purposes.
>
> Am I on the right track.
>
> Chuck
>
> On Wed, 2005-04-13 at 11:40 +0100, Martin Hepworth wrote:
> > Chuck
> >
> > Amanda does it's own cycling of full and incremental backups, tying to
> > get an even backup size/time over the tape sets.
> >
> > If you want to do 'permanent archive' sets (we do) then you need a
> > separate config  that only does level 0 backups and has the tapes marked
> > as don't reuse.
> >
> > Have a read of the documentation and esp how the planner handles
> > incrementals/full backups.
> >

> > Chuck Amadi wrote:
> > > Has anyone example of amanda implement the infinite
> > > grandfather-father-son strategy.

You may have read, but not understood.

Normally amanda MIXES full dumps and incrementals on each amdump run.
Its design tries to avoid the monster dump on friday by balancing each
days' dump with a mix.

Many (most?) hate amanda's scheme ... until they try it.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)