Amanda-Users

Re: Why include parent directory in disklist?

2005-04-06 12:10:21
Subject: Re: Why include parent directory in disklist?
From: Vicki Stanfield <vicki AT progeny DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2005 11:06:15 -0400
Jon LaBadie wrote:

On Wed, Apr 06, 2005 at 04:07:42PM +0100, Dave Ewart wrote:
On Wednesday, 06.04.2005 at 10:03 -0400, Vicki Stanfield wrote:

Thanks Dave,
So then if /net/mysystem/home is on the same partition as /net/mysystem/username, is /net/mysystem/username being backed up twice. It sounds to me like it is.
Erm, not sure, because /net/mysystem/username is not mentioned in your
disklist.  From the above entries, /net/mysystem/username lies under /
and would thus be backed up.

/net is in my experience used for nfs style mounts.  Thus it would not
be backed up with a DLE of /.  If on the otherhand you had a DLE of
/net/mysystem (mysystem being the amanda server), which would correspond
to the / directory of the myserver, then some double backups might be
getting done.

If you are doing indexing (most amanda sites are), then you can look at
the index files and see what files are being backed up.

As to the 131 day old DLE without a backup, I suspect it is being reported
in your daily reports as "failed" or some such.  Due to bad administration
I have a few such beasts.  Some home remodeling caused me to shutdown a
couple of systems and store them in a closet.  They have not been brought
online since and I failed to adjust amanda's config.

This can also happen with laptops that keep missing the backup window,
multi-OS-boot computers where one OS never seems to get used when amanda
runs, or following some kind of reorg of file systems and an old DLE
corresponds to a file system or directory that no longer exists.

Is there a way to trace the output of the amadmin to a specific disklist entry? Like I see the data for the 4/06 backup at +384.2%, but I am unsure what is to be backed up on 4/06. How do I know what Amanda plans to backup on this day? I also see a big zero in the balance for 4/08. What is that about? I know that I can force a full backup, but I'd rather let Amanda balance the load. I just need to understand what disklist entries are being backed up when.

Vicki

Vicki