Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda client on Redhat 2.4.9-31

2004-10-13 12:07:41
Subject: Re: Amanda client on Redhat 2.4.9-31
From: Brian Cuttler <brian AT wadsworth DOT org>
To: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>, jlb17 AT duke DOT edu
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 12:03:58 -0400

Paul,
Josh,

I'll check on the timeout issue.

Restarting xinetd - yes, I guess services would have provided
a clean restart but I wasn't really looking to shutdown xinetd,
just to change one of the socket behaviours. Its not unusual for
us (my site) to HUP inetd on Solaris and Irix so I didn't think
in terms of restarting the server itself. Different OS, different
rules.

My co-worker Chris Knight
     "The U in Unix has little to do with 'uniformity'".

I was unaware of the dump bug, this is a likely cause for the local
tape (non-amanda) dumps to have been failing.

We will look into the patch/new dump version.

We are also looking into those scsi errors I'd reported and had already
resolved to perform a dump to /dev/null to check a tape vs disk issue.
That and schedule a service interupt to fsck the partition.

Will let you know what the next round of testing reveals.

                                                thank you,

                                                Brian

> First make sure dtimeout is sufficiently large. (Could it be around
> 4800 seconds perhaps?)
>
> Then, also make sure dump itself doesn't crash when running it by
> hand with output to /dev/null (if yes, I suspect a filesystem
> inconsistency).
>

> --
> Paul Bijnens, Xplanation                            Tel  +32 16 397.511
> Technologielaan 21 bus 2, B-3001 Leuven, BELGIUM    Fax  +32 16 397.512
> http://www.xplanation.com/          email:  Paul.Bijnens AT xplanation DOT com
> * I think I've got the hang of it now:  exit, ^D, ^C, ^\, ^Z, ^Q, F6, *
> * quit,  ZZ, :q, :q!,  M-Z, ^X^C,  logoff, logout, close, bye,  /bye, *
> * stop, end, F3, ~., ^]c, +++ ATH, disconnect, halt,  abort,  hangup, *
> * PF4, F20, ^X^X, :D::D, KJOB, F14-f-e, F8-e,  kill -1 $$,  shutdown, *
> * kill -9 1,  Alt-F4,  Ctrl-Alt-Del,  AltGr-NumLock,  Stop-A,  ...    *
> * ...  "Are you sure?"  ...   YES   ...   Phew ...   I'm out          *

---
   Brian R Cuttler                 brian.cuttler AT wadsworth DOT org