Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda client on Redhat 2.4.9-31

2004-10-04 12:03:33
Subject: Re: Amanda client on Redhat 2.4.9-31
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: Brian Cuttler <brian AT wadsworth DOT org>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org, Chris Knight <knight AT wadsworth DOT org>
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2004 11:00:22 -0500
--On Monday, October 04, 2004 11:31:08 -0400 Brian Cuttler <brian AT wadsworth
DOT org> wrote:

> Environment: amanda 2.4.4p2 client being installed on 2.4.9-31
>
> Server (on Solaris) has been running for years, client is new.
>
> Symptom:
>  Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
> --------------------------------
> ERROR: mssarc: [could not access /dev/sda12 (/iarc/vol): Permission denied]

As you've probably already noticed, Amanda doesn't have read permissions
on /dev/sda12 (/iarc/vol).

> Client check: 10 hosts checked in 5.252 seconds, 1 problem found
>
> [root@mssarc amanda]# more /etc/xinetd.d/amanda
> service amanda
> {
>         disable         = no
>         socket_type     = dgram
>         protocol        = udp
>         wait            = yes
>         user            = amanda
>         group           = disk
>         server          = /usr/local/libexec/amandad
> }
>
> Amanda user is local to linux system. Tried amanda in various groups,
> ie group 0, disk (3), sys (6) to no avail. /usr/local/libexec/ binaries
> seem to be installed correct, suid bit set on rundump (root:sys).
>
> [root@mssarc amanda]# ls -las /dev/sda12
>    0 brw-rw----    1 root     disk       8,  12 Aug 30  2001 /dev/sda12

>>From this, it looks like the amanda user needs to be in the group disk
for dump to be able to read it.  However, if you are using tar then
you need to check ownership/permissions on /iarc/vol instead.

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                      fsmith AT hoovers DOT com
Sr. Systems Administrator                       Voice: 512-374-4673