Amanda-Users

Re: Recommended Changer script setup

2004-10-04 15:40:57
Subject: Re: Recommended Changer script setup
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: "Lauro, John" <jlauro AT umflint DOT edu>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2004 14:38:00 -0500
--On Monday, October 04, 2004 13:20:32 -0400 "Lauro, John" <jlauro AT umflint
DOT edu> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am new to amanda....  and after a slow-going process (not all directly
> from Amanda, some was in first getting MTX to work, etc)  I have it
> mostly working (for one machine, have to add clients to other boxes
> yet...).  (IE: It would be nice if the install script was a little more
> user friendly/complete, such as toching required files (but can be
> blank) such as tapelist...)
>
> It's working with the chg-zd-mtx, but...  I now realize that it appears
> that chg-zd-mtx only supports one tape drive in the library, even though
> MTX supports multiple drives...
>
> What/how should I configure it work with a multi-drive library?  There
> appears to be many options...  (It's a Spectra 10000 under Linux that I
> am trying to get running, and the library has two drives installed).

You have two choices on how to use two (or more) drives in a changer.

One way is to use the RAIT (RAID using tapes) driver to stripe (or
mirror) your data across the drives.  With striping you should be
able to increase your throughput writing to tape.

Another way is to have two configs, each using one drive and each
backing up a subset of your clients.  You will also need separate
holdingdisks and changer configs for each.

It would be nice if you could just have one config and have taper
be able to write images to multiple drives simultaneously, but as far
as I know it isn't possible.

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                      fsmith AT hoovers DOT com
Sr. Systems Administrator                       Voice: 512-374-4673