Amanda-Users

Re: Still hoping for answer for amanda port usage

2004-09-15 19:40:09
Subject: Re: Still hoping for answer for amanda port usage
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: KEVIN ZEMBOWER <KZEMBOWE AT jhuccp DOT org>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 18:34:04 -0500
--On Wednesday, September 15, 2004 15:28:21 -0400 KEVIN ZEMBOWER <KZEMBOWE AT
jhuccp DOT org> wrote:

> The discussion's petered out on my request for which ports to ask the
> firewall administrator to open to allow amanda to work through our firewall,
> but I'm still hoping for an answer, as I still can't come up with one myself.
> There was one comment that
> ports 10080-10083 are fixed, no matter what --with-???portrange switches are
> used. Is this fact or fiction?

I think fact. Those are the ones listed in /etc/services.

> In the spirit of re-phrasing the question, can anyone help me complete the
> following sentence to my firewall administrator:
> Please open port numbers ____ through ____ for [UDP|TCP|both] packets
> [from|to] my tapehost (inside fw) [to|from] my client(s).
>
> That sentence may have to be completed more than once for each different
> range, protocol or direction.

Usually, when discusion dies down without a clear answer it means nobody is
really sure of the exact answer, although I think someone gave you a very
good description of the backup process port usage.

I've got firewall rules that work (for me), but they may be allowing more
than absolutely necessary (i.e., some ports open bidirectionally when they
only need to be open one direction with the 'established allow' rule
covering the response packets).

In the interest of science (and my own curiosity) I've set up a packet capture
on one of my VPN boxes to log network traffic between one of my tape servers
and a remote client tonight.  Since the two servers don't normally talk with
each other except for the backup, tomorrow I should be able to see the exact
sequence of events, and since that client is a very small backup (/etc and
/vaar/spool/cron/crontabs) it shouldn't be a huge mass to wade through.

I'll let you know tomorrow what I discover.

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                      fsmith AT hoovers DOT com
Sr. Systems Administrator                       Voice: 512-374-4673