Amanda-Users

Re: Still hoping for answer for amanda port usage

2004-09-16 15:05:38
Subject: Re: Still hoping for answer for amanda port usage
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Eric Siegerman <erics AT telepres DOT com>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 20:56:15 +0200
Eric Siegerman wrote:
[... excellent explanation of port usage ...]
Note (and this I *am* sure of) that in Amanda, it is not
dependable that initiator==client and listener==server.  The
client initiates some connections, but the tape server initiates
others.

Are you really sure about this?  I thought that the tape server
initiates ALL the connections (and hence client==listener).
If that would be true, my firewall setup with iptables and without
the amandamodules would not work.
Which connection is initiated by the client?

Frank Smith's network trace also shows all traffic initiated by
the server.

Kevin main problem is that the firewall he has to cross is not
stateful.  (I would have responded if I had more experience with
such a setup.)