Amanda-Users

Re: amanda with files

2004-09-09 10:40:39
Subject: Re: amanda with files
From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <monitor AT oops.co DOT at>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 16:38:28 +0200
Hi, Gene,

on Donnerstag, 09. September 2004 at 15:42 you wrote to amanda-users:

GH> I rebuilt it with my backup of the config, and started from scratch
GH> on the rest of it.  What I was missing in the amanda.conf was the
GH> line 'changerdev'.  I got that from reading the chg-disk src comments.
GH> I don't think thats in your HOWTO, or I'm going blind in my old age.

I just checked back with my communications with the author of
chg-disk, he said:

---

changerdev: it's not necessary to explicitely tell "/dev/null" as this config
parameter is not parsed by my changer driver; but I wanted to explicitely
specify it just
to help the human reader, to remind him there is really NO physical robotics.

---

So it is unimportant for chg-disk what "changerdev" is set to. Maybe
this should be mentioned in the HOWTO.

GH> And, I have it all working with this 'mkvtapes' script:
GH> ----------mkvtapes, cut here-----------
GH> #!/bin/sh
GH> rm -fR /amandatapes/Dailys
GH> rm -f /usr/local/etc/amanda/Daily/tapelist
GH> touch /usr/local/etc/amanda/Daily/tapelist
GH> for n in 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
GH> 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30
GH> do
GH> mkdir -p /amandatapes/Dailys/slot${n}
GH> chmod -v 750 /amandatapes/Dailys/slot${n}
GH> rm -f /amandatapes/Dailys/data
GH> ln -s /amandatapes/Dailys/slot${n} /amandatapes/Dailys/data
GH> amlabel Daily Dailys-${n} slot ${n}
GH> done
GH> rm /amandatapes/Dailys/data
GH> ln -s /amandatapes/Dailys/slot01 /amandatapes/Dailys/data
GH> echo
GH> echo slot dirs made
GH> echo
GH> ls -lR
GH> ---------EOF-----------
GH> And it all runs in about 5 or 6 seconds!

Maybe you could edit this script to use variables ... so other people
could use it as well ...

GH> Now, needless to say, I'm going to remove the exec bits on that puppy.

GH> Oh, and you were half right on the 00 01 thing, amlabel upchucks on the
GH> 00, but works just fine on a range of 01-30.  Which is puzzling because
GH> the rest of amanda seems to run on the base 0 numbering system.  Bug?
GH> Dunno, & its now moot.

Some more thing to look up in the sources ...

GH> Now I have to go fix my wrapper scripts for the name changes & re-enable
GH> amanda in her cron.conf.  Tonight should be a real doozy as its been
GH> since back in June that the last backup was done.

tssss...

GH> Now, my question is: how does that 'data' link get replaced when the
GH> 'changer' is advanced?  Do I need to add that to my wraper scripts?

chg-disk takes care of this. Nothing to do for you.

GH> Thanks Stefan.  You really did save a lot of time in re-inventing
GH> this.

I am not sure, do you think I wrote chg-disk? I did not, it was JC
Simonetti ...

--
best regards,
Stefan