Amanda-Users

Re: amanda with files

2004-09-09 10:33:38
Subject: Re: amanda with files
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 10:26:24 -0400
On Thursday 09 September 2004 08:41, Jon LaBadie wrote:
>On Wed, Sep 08, 2004 at 10:51:12PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Greetings Stefan;
>>
>> I think I've made some progress and the remaining problem
>> is my inability to label the vtapes.  I think...

I hope this finds you and Gundie healthy.

I got it all sorted Jon.  My script miss-fired and killed my /config/
dir, so I had to go get my last tarballs, the ones I make with my
wrapper scripts, and recover the whole thing.  Then, instead reading
Stephans howto all that close, I read the comments in the chg-disk
script, which disclosed that I was missing a line in my amanda.conf
for 'changerdev'.

So they are all generated, amcheck seems happy, and the first backup
since June 26th is running right now (I think, it just got quiet :()
but theres still a gtar running, probably feeding gzip.

>> I've combined the scripts in your howto, so that its all in
>> one in case one should have to restart, and it comes in handy
>> right now since there is nothing precious to lose if I run it
>> several times in a row.
>>
>> Here is that script:
>> -------------mkamandatapes------------
>> #!/bin/sh
>
>Gene,
>It has been a looong time since I played with vtapes
>so I did not want to put bad info into the list if
>I'm off base.
>
>> echo next make new slot dirs
>> for n in 00 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
>> 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 do
>> mkdir /amandatapes/DailySet1/slot${n}
>> chmod -v 750 /amandatapes/DailySet1/slot${n}
>> done
>> ls -l
>> sleep 3
>> echo now we label them
>> for n in 00 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
>> 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 do
>> rm -f data
>> ln -s slot${n} data
>> amlabel DailySet1 DailySet1-${n} slot slot${n}
>> done
>> ------------EOF-------------
>
>When I did it, each of the "slots" was a directory which
>I also considered the tape itself.  As such, each had
>two things in the directory, a file called info (maybe
>created by mklabel, I forget), and a subdirectory called data.
>
>Your script is only setting up the single entity called "data",
>a symbolic link, and pointing it to "slot directories".  Compared
>to the scheme I had working (which I can't say is correct) there
>seems to be a level of dirs missing.  Though, I guess your "slots"
>are supposed to be the equivalent of my separate "data" dirs.
>
>At the time I did it, chg-disk did not exist.  I was using
>chg-multi.  Maybe that is a major difference.

Could be Jon, and I'll know in a couple of hours I guess.

But I've disabled the writes to the vtape from my wrapper scripts as
I'm not savvy on howto make dd append to an already existing file.

I suppose, (thinking out loud here, and thats been known to be
dangerous) since each directory is the tape, that if I look in it
when its done, I should see individual files in that directory, which
means all I have to do is give dd the proper path and it should be
happy.

But thats based on an 'I suppose' and them things have been fubar many
many times before. :) So I want one runs data to see how it actually
works before I start uncommenting the dd writes.  Heck, if its just a
file, I could probably use cp instead...  This gets simpler all the
time!

How was your weather yesterday?  We got a bit over 3.5" here.  Most of
which was in fact needed, my yard was beginning to open up in inch
wide cracks.

>jl

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
by Gene Heskett are: