Amanda-Users

Re: restore from multiple holding disk files

2004-07-23 16:45:03
Subject: Re: restore from multiple holding disk files
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Jonathan Dill <jfdill_2 AT jfdill DOT com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 22:40:33 +0200
Jonathan Dill wrote:

Paul Bijnens wrote:

If split in chunks, just feed the first part; the rest is done
automatically (the name of the next part is in the header of
each holding chunk).

Hmm. That's what I thought, finding subsequent chunks might not be working correctly then for whatever reason, but I'll have to search for the e-mail from the person who was having the problem.

Yes, the absolute pathname of the nextchunk is found in the header
of each holdingdisk file.
That is needed, befause amanda can spread chunks over different holdingdisks. But holdingdisk is meant as a temporary staging area
not as the ultimate format.   The virtual tapes are meant for that.

That means indeed that you cannot easily move holdingdisk files around
e.g. burn them on CD etc.  For easy restoring you need to put them
on the exact location as where they were created.
Otherwise, you'll have to fall back to little programs with
"dd bs=32k skip=1 ..." etc.