Amanda-Users

Re: restore from multiple holding disk files

2004-07-23 11:46:56
Subject: Re: restore from multiple holding disk files
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Jonathan Dill <jfdill_2 AT jfdill DOT com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 17:40:25 +0200
Jonathan Dill wrote:

I'm trying to help someone do a restore from a dump that is split into multiple "chunks" in holding disk files. In this case, flushing to tape first is not an option. I thought amrestore could do it, but then I read the manpage and didn't see a way to do it.

Just give the holdingdisk filename instead of the tapedevice name.

amrestore [-b blocksize] [-r|-c] [-p] [-h] [-f fileno] [-l label] tape-device|holdingfile [hostname [diskname [datestamp [hostname [diskname [datestamp ... ]]]]]]

Notice the:  tape-device|holdingfile

If split in chunks, just feed the first part; the rest is done
automatically (the name of the next part is in the header of
each holding chunk).

The only way that I could think of doing it is to use "dd" to strip the amanda header off the chunks and then concatenate them together into one, huge file. The filesystem on the holding disk is XFS so the filesize should not be a problem.

Is there an easier way to do this? The files are ufsdump being restored to a Solaris machine, but the holding disk files are on a Linux box which does not support ufsrestore.

You could also do something like dd to strip the header and pipe
the result over the network to another machine using netcat:
Untested:

First on the client:
  nc -l -p 1234 | ufsrestore ...

Then on the amanda server:

  for f in host._my_disk.0*; do dd bs=32k skip=1 if=$f; done |
  nc -w 1 solarismachine 1234

(if having more than 10 chunks, you'll need to sort them correct first!)