Amanda-Users

Re: Speed up 400GB backup?

2004-07-21 17:46:44
Subject: Re: Speed up 400GB backup?
From: Mike Fedyk <mfedyk AT matchmail DOT com>
To: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 14:39:55 -0700
Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:

Is it too disruptive to just reboot the system? It'd be nice to try a
Boo! I sincerely doubt rebooting will help unless there is a kernel problem.

couple of other kernels, like a vanilla 2.4.26. Also, I'd ask on a redhat list and/or an ext2/3 list about any kernel tweaks to get better performance for lots of small files.

Are you using htree (indexed directories)[1]?

I would look into using the LD_PRELOAD library that sorts the directory entries based on physical layout on disk (sort by inode number).

Mike

[1] tune2fs -l /dev/XXX |grep index