Amanda-Users

Re: Speed up 400GB backup?

2004-07-20 19:42:37
Subject: Re: Speed up 400GB backup?
From: Mike Fedyk <mfedyk AT matchmail DOT com>
To: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 16:39:25 -0700
Frank Smith wrote:

--On Tuesday, July 20, 2004 14:41:43 -0700 Mike Fedyk <mfedyk AT matchmail DOT
com> wrote:

The whole thing of having the backup host being the same machine as the file server no longer looks like a good idea. However, I am in it too deep to jump out now. I suppose that I could get a second controller in the box, but to me it seems as if that would only create another bottleneck, the pci bus.
Why?

You have the compression done on the client anyway, so just take an older
(probably Pentium II class or better) machine and use that as your Amanda
server.

Generally true if you're using tape, but Kris is using the file driver
and backing up to disk, so his backup server would probably need over
a terabyte of space (to keep two fulls and the incrementals of a 400GB
filesystem).  Although if the backup disks could easily be moved
to another box it would speed things up.

Frank

That depends on the compressibility of the data of course.

That said, a few IDE hard drives are quite cheap these days.