Amanda-Users

Re: Speed up 400GB backup?

2004-07-21 17:35:19
Subject: Re: Speed up 400GB backup?
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Geert Uytterhoeven <geert AT linux-m68k DOT org>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 23:30:08 +0200
Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004, Paul Bijnens wrote:

If you install dump for ext2, then you should also try out that one.
Dump takes only a few seconds or minutes compared to gnutar for such
filesystems.

I thought you do not want to use dump on Linux, since it's unsafe?

Dump should be used on a non-active filesystem.  Yes, Linus once
made some comments about dump inherently being unsafe, especially
while he was building the vfs filesystem in the kernel.
In that time dump was also without maintainers, and did contain
quiet a few bugs.  That has changed, and dump has considerably
improved.  It should not be less safe than dump on solaris.

Moreover, if you do snapshotting using the logical volume manager,
you can make backups on a perfectly quiet filesystem.  Using ext3
has a little difficulty last time I tried, that the snapshot filesystem
needs repairing (from the redo logs), and that needs write access
to the filesystem, which you haven't on the snapshot. (That was on
Redhat 9; on RH 8 it did work fine; never tried on fedora)

But, personally I use gnutar, because I have a mixed environment, and
need to able to restore to different OS'es.  That means my real life
experience with dump is limited, i.e. I could be wrong :-)