Amanda-Users

Re: Issues with tape changers

2004-07-15 07:11:18
Subject: Re: Issues with tape changers
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 07:06:18 -0400
On Thursday 15 July 2004 06:18, Gaby vanhegan wrote:
>On 15 Jul 2004, at 03:31, Gene Heskett wrote:
>>> bash-2.05b# sudo -u operator /usr/local/sbin/amcheck ltsn
>>> Amanda Tape Server Host Check
>>> -----------------------------
>>> Holding disk /home/amanda/holding: 47180616 KB disk space
>>> available, that's plenty
>>> amcheck-server: could not get changer info: open: /dev/ch0: Bad
>>> file descriptor
>>
>> I'm assuming that your ltsn config lives in /usr/local/etc/ltsn?
>> Just making sure this is the same amanda.conf that amanda is using
>> :)
>
>Almost, it's all inside /usr/local/etc/amanda/ltsn

Yeah, I'd forgotten the 'amanda' above.  My bad.

>>> rawtapedev "/dev/null"  # the raw device to be used (ftape only)
>>
>> ^^^^^^^^^
>> The above item should be commented out.  Don't know if thats the
>> cause of the problem though.
>
>I'll try it, but I don't think it's the issue.

Well, there are explicite instructions that only one device may be
active at a time there.

>>> changerdev      /dev/ch0    # Jukebox changer
>>
>> Ahh, here be dragons^^^^
>>
>> Substitute for /dev/ch0, whatever your dmesg (boot log) identifies
>> the changer mechanism as.  I'll insert the pieces from mine for an
>> example of what to look for.  Unforch, its for linux_x86 here, so
>> the actual device names are going to be different.
>
> From my own dmesg:
>
>ahc1 at pci0 dev 14 function 0 "Adaptec AHA-2940U2 U2" rev 0x00: irq
> 10 ahc1: aic7890/91: Ultra2 Wide Channel A, SCSI Id=7, 32/255 SCBs
> scsibus1 at ahc1: 16 targets
>(ahc1:A:1:0): refuses WIDE negotiation.  Using 8bit transfers
>ahc1: target 1 using asynchronous transfers
>ch0 at scsibus1 targ 1 lun 0: <ADIC, FastStor DLT, D118> SCSI2
>8/changer removable
>ahc1: target 3 synchronous at 10.0MHz, offset = 0xf
>st0 at scsibus1 targ 3 lun 0: <BNCHMARK, DLT1, 3213> SCSI2
> 1/sequential removable
>st0: density code 0x40, variable blocks, write-enabled
>
>I'm running OpenBSD here, and it identifies changers in the ch
> driver, therefore my changer is /dev/ch0

I see that. But I also see that the normal addressing convention isn't
used, as its scsi address 1 and the drive is scsi address 3.  Odd,
and I wonder why they skipped 2, and why the changer is first,
normally its second.  Are the addresses individually jumperable?  Not
that I think thats the problem, but it might be worth keeping notes.

>The only problem now is that I had to reboot the machine last night,
>due to a routing issue, and now my tape drive is in some wierd
> state:
>
>bash-2.05b# chio status
>picker 0: <EXCEPT>
>slot 0: <ACCESS,EXCEPT>
>slot 1: <ACCESS,EXCEPT,FULL>
>slot 2: <ACCESS,EXCEPT,FULL>
>slot 3: <ACCESS,EXCEPT,FULL>
>slot 4: <ACCESS,EXCEPT,FULL>
>slot 5: <ACCESS,EXCEPT,FULL>
>slot 6: <ACCESS,EXCEPT,FULL>
>drive 0: <ACCESS,EXCEPT,FULL>
>
>And I can't get it out of that.  I think I need to power cycle the
> lot of it, which will have to wait until monday when I can get at
> the machinery... :(

Yuck...  Good luck.

>Gaby

There are 4 boxes to be used in defense of liberty.
Soap, ballot, jury, and ammo.
Please use in that order, starting now.  -Ed Howdershelt, Author
Additions to this message made by Gene Heskett are Copyright 2004,
Maurice E. Heskett, all rights reserved.