Amanda-Users

Re: How to back up a directory on a remote linux server

2004-07-15 06:58:42
Subject: Re: How to back up a directory on a remote linux server
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 06:53:41 -0400
On Thursday 15 July 2004 05:37, Kevin Passey wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can someone point me in the right direction.
>
> In my disklist file I have this:
>
> dilmom2 /home/cvs always-full
>
> amcheck runs ok
>
> But the amdump that runs overnight gives this:
>
> /-- dilmom2 /home/cvs lev 0 FAILED [/sbin/dump returned 1]
> sendbackup: start [dilmom2:/home/cvs level 0]
> sendbackup: info BACKUP=/sbin/dump
> sendbackup: info RECOVER_CMD=/sbin/restore -f... -
> sendbackup: info end
>
> | DUMP: You can't update the dumpdates file when dumping a
> | subdirectory DUMP: The ENTIRE dump is aborted.
>
> sendbackup: error [/sbin/dump returned 1]
> \--------

For what you want, you must use tar.  Dump does whole filesystems
only.  Tar however can do subdirs individually, and includes/excludes
as long as samba isn't involved.  Watch your tar's version number, it
s/b 1.13-19 thru 1.13-25.  No one has said yet if the 1.13-9x version
works that I can recall.

If the newest one works, please advise this list so that we can modify
our recommendations.

Hope this helps.

>Any advice greatly received
> The server is Amanda version 2.4.4p1 on RHEL3
> The client is Amanda version 2.4.2.p2-4 on RHEL2
>
> Thanks
>
> Kevin

There are 4 boxes to be used in defense of liberty.
Soap, ballot, jury, and ammo.
Please use in that order, starting now.  -Ed Howdershelt, Author
Additions to this message made by Gene Heskett are Copyright 2004,
Maurice E. Heskett, all rights reserved.