Amanda-Users

Re: GNUTAR, mount points & symbolic links ???

2004-07-13 04:18:32
Subject: Re: GNUTAR, mount points & symbolic links ???
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Michael D Schleif <mds AT helices DOT org>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 09:43:18 +0200
Michael D Schleif wrote:

Does Amanda/GNUTAR _follow_ all mount points and symbolic links in a
DLE?

Everytime that I setup Amanda clients, I get confused on these issues.

If this is covered in the FAQ-O-Matic, then I do not see it.  If it has
been covered on the mailing list countless times, then my searches are
too lame.  Hopefully, this post, including this subject line, will make
this easier to find for those who come after ;>

If I am right, by default, Amanda/GNUTAR _does_ follow follow mount
points contained within a DLE, but does _not_ follow symbolic links.

Yes.  gnutar is invoked as:

        gnutar ... --directory /the/DLE/entry ...

By changing the working directory to /the/DLE/entry the symlink
"/the/DLE/entry", if it is one, is effectively resolved.
Inside that toplevel directory, symlinks are never followed, just like
you would expect from a decent backup program.

Setting up a group of symlinks used to be a trick to shorten long
pathnames when you have trouble with the size of a UDP dgram (for
exchanging the estimates).

This makes a difference regarding deploying exclude files.

What do you think?