Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda Through firewall

2004-07-13 04:36:40
Subject: Re: Amanda Through firewall
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Kaushal Shriyan <kshriyan AT redhat DOT com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 09:49:11 +0200
Kaushal Shriyan wrote:

Can I allow amanda backup server to talk through firewall for accessing
amanda client host, Is there any way out

The general answer is to recompile amanda with a dedicated portrange
and open those ports in the firewall.  See the explanation in
docs/PORT.USAGE .

If the firewall is running Linux, it could be as easy as loading the
amanda netfilter modules "ip_conntrack_amanda" and maybe "ip_nat_amanda".

Beware of 2.6.6rc2 kernel that are reported to give some trouble:
  http://www.mail-archive.com/amanda-users AT amanda DOT org/msg26094.html
I've not yet verified this.

Personnally I use a third option (until I get my firewall upgraded
to use the amanda netfilter modules).  My firewall does simple
connection tracking and NAT.

I commented out this block in common-src/security.c

 230     /* next, make sure the remote port is a "reserved" one */
 231 /* Avoid trouble with NAT changing reserved ports in random ports
 232     if(ntohs(addr->sin_port) >= IPPORT_RESERVED) {
 233         ap_snprintf(number, sizeof(number), "%d",
                                ntohs(addr->sin_port));
 234         *errstr = vstralloc("[",
 235                             "host ", remotehost, ": ",
 236                             "port ", number, " not secure",
 237                             "]", NULL);
 238         amfree(remotehost);
 239         return 0;
 240     }
 241 */

It's because of NAT that ports below 1024 get translated to some
arbitrary high number.  The security of this check is marginal in
these times when everyone can be root and use reserved ports on his
hackerbox.

With this setup, I only have to open ports from my amandaserver to
the DMZ-hosts. All the rest is taken care of by the normal connection
tracking.  (Correct me, if I missed something.)