Amanda-Users

Re: GNUTAR, mount points & symbolic links ???

2004-07-12 17:39:20
Subject: Re: GNUTAR, mount points & symbolic links ???
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 17:35:23 -0400
On Mon, Jul 12, 2004 at 03:13:24PM -0500, Michael D Schleif wrote:
> Does Amanda/GNUTAR _follow_ all mount points and symbolic links in a
> DLE?
>
> Everytime that I setup Amanda clients, I get confused on these issues.
>
> If this is covered in the FAQ-O-Matic, then I do not see it.  If it has
> been covered on the mailing list countless times, then my searches are
> too lame.  Hopefully, this post, including this subject line, will make
> this easier to find for those who come after ;>
>
> If I am right, by default, Amanda/GNUTAR _does_ follow follow mount
> points contained within a DLE, but does _not_ follow symbolic links.
>
> This makes a difference regarding deploying exclude files.
>
> What do you think?

Amanda merely starts the backup program, in this case gnutar.
Thus the gnutar manpage/reference doc is your best source for
information.  A guess here, gnutar does not cross mountpoints
unless an option is used (of course the opposite may be true,
i.e., will cross mountpoints unless an option is used).

Whichever, the gnutar options used are recorded in the debug
log files in (by default) /tmp/amanda.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)