Amanda-Users

Re: amrecover from large tapes

2004-06-29 23:11:17
Subject: Re: amrecover from large tapes
From: Jamie Wilkinson <jaq AT spacepants DOT org>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 13:04:33 +1000
This one time, at band camp, Paul Bijnens wrote:
>Is the server doing an "mt fsf" or is it just reading the tape up to the
>matching backup image?

It's not spawning a "mt fsf" when I do a ps, as far as I can tell.

If I strace the amrestore process I see it doing the following ioctls
between file marks:

ioctl(3, MTIOCTOP or SNDCTL_MIDI_MPUMODE or MGSL_IOCPARAMS

"history" in amrecover lists the file marks that each tape has that
image at, so I assume I'm not missing any indexes that amrestore will
need.

>After how long does it time out?  Is there a firewall in between maybe?

No firewall on the backup network, at least I've been able to back up
each night, and do manual restores before.

The timeouts usually occur after a half hour, I haven't timed it though.

--
jaq AT spacepants DOT org
http://spacepants.org/jaq.gpg