Amanda-Users

amrecover from large tapes

2004-06-20 22:11:58
Subject: amrecover from large tapes
From: Jamie Wilkinson <jaq AT spacepants DOT org>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 12:03:53 +1000
I'm restoring some files using amrestore on the client machine, but due
to the size of the tape being restored from (100GB) I usually hit a
timeout on the client side while waiting for amrestore on the server to
find the correct image.

So, short of recompiling to increase READ_TIMEOUT like amrecover
suggests, is there any simple way to get the restore process to work
faster?  Is there a neat way of keeping a precomputed index of the tape
somewhere so that amrestore can seek to the right image straight away?

Or is the only solution to manually position the tape just before the
right image before typing 'extract' at the client?

I think last time I attempted this I gave up trying to use amrecover and
used amrestore to extract the full image, and then copied it to the
client where I just used tar to recover the files I needed, instead of
using the amanda client programs.

--
jaq AT spacepants DOT org
http://spacepants.org/jaq.gpg