Amanda-Users

Re: Three tape set backup policy

2004-06-23 02:04:07
Subject: Re: Three tape set backup policy
From: Phil Homewood <pdh AT snapgear DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 15:56:26 +1000
Rodrigo Filgueira wrote:
> I've defined three diferent configs, Monthly, Weekly and Daily. W and D
> are working  without a problem, but Monthly is generally done some day
> between Monday and Friday.

Two things to watch out for:

1. I believe amanda _really_ doesn't like running more than
   once per day. At least in a single config. Having multiple
   configs _might_ avoid her objections there though.

2. Make sure your incrementals are doing what you expect.
   In particular, the "listed-incremental" files will be
   shared between configs. Meaning the level 1 on that
   weekly tape is relative to the level 0 on the daily
   that came before it, for instance....

I posted about #2 some months ago, and suggested that I might
come up with a fix for it. Unfortunately I never did; we ended
up rearranging things rather creatively to get around the
problem here.
--
Phil Homewood, Systems Janitor, http://www.SnapGear.com
pdh AT snapgear DOT com Ph: +61 7 3435 2810 Fx: +61 7 3891 3630