Amanda-Users

Re: Dealing with a dump too big

2004-06-22 12:24:17
Subject: Re: Dealing with a dump too big
From: KEVIN ZEMBOWER <KZEMBOWE AT jhuccp DOT org>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 12:17:50 -0400
Hi, Stefan,

Thanks for pointing out the option on amdump to just backup a single host or
partition; I never used that, and overlooked what you were trying to tell me in
my original response. I've been working since yesterday to implement your
suggestions.

I'll modify the slashes to back-slashes today, when I'm able to make an
individual run for just the admin //db/f$ share.

WRT the '$' metacharacter, what I actually had to run was:
amdump DailySet1 admin '//db/f\$'

Thanks, again, for your help and suggestions.

-Kevin

>>> monitor AT oops.co DOT at 06/21/04 01:37PM >>>
Hi, Kevin,

amanda@admin:~ >> amadmin DailySet1 disklist admin //db/
KZ> <snip of info for admin //db/c$ and admin //db/e$>

KZ> line 100:
KZ>     host admin:
KZ>         interface default
KZ>     disk //db/f$:
KZ>         program "GNUTAR"
KZ>         exclude file "./inetsrv/"

And now you modified it to the backslashes?

KZ> [Why can't I enter 'amadmin DailySet1 disklist admin
KZ> //db/f$'? I get "amadmin: no disk matched", unless I trim it back
KZ> to "amadmin DailySet1 disklist admin //db/".]

The character $ seems to be interpreted as the regex-metacharacter.

KZ> As Paul points out, the problem is a flaw in the way
KZ> estimated sizes are computed: it ignores the excluded files and
KZ> directories.

This way the estimates should be bigger than the actual dumps.

KZ> Won't your suggestion to:
KZ> amadmin DailySet1 force admin //db/f$
KZ> amdump DailySet1 admin //db/f$

KZ> just force admin //db/f$ to do a level 0 dump, but all the
KZ> rest of the backup targets do whatever they were scheduled to do?
KZ> This normally takes  4-6 hours on my system, and wouldn't complete
KZ> before the normally scheduled backup. I am doing 'amadmin
KZ> DailySet1 force admin //db/f$' for tonight's backup.

the second line would just dump the DLE given, //db/f$.

SYNOPSIS
       amdump config [ host [ disk ]* ]*

Stefan.