Amanda-Users

Re: Dealing with a dump too big

2004-06-21 13:43:36
Subject: Re: Dealing with a dump too big
From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <monitor AT oops.co DOT at>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 19:37:36 +0200
Hi, Kevin,

amanda@admin:~ >> amadmin DailySet1 disklist admin //db/
KZ> <snip of info for admin //db/c$ and admin //db/e$>

KZ> line 100:
KZ>     host admin:
KZ>         interface default
KZ>     disk //db/f$:
KZ>         program "GNUTAR"
KZ>         exclude file "./inetsrv/"

And now you modified it to the backslashes?

KZ> [Why can't I enter 'amadmin DailySet1 disklist admin
KZ> //db/f$'? I get "amadmin: no disk matched", unless I trim it back
KZ> to "amadmin DailySet1 disklist admin //db/".]

The character $ seems to be interpreted as the regex-metacharacter.

KZ> As Paul points out, the problem is a flaw in the way
KZ> estimated sizes are computed: it ignores the excluded files and
KZ> directories.

This way the estimates should be bigger than the actual dumps.

KZ> Won't your suggestion to:
KZ> amadmin DailySet1 force admin //db/f$
KZ> amdump DailySet1 admin //db/f$

KZ> just force admin //db/f$ to do a level 0 dump, but all the
KZ> rest of the backup targets do whatever they were scheduled to do?
KZ> This normally takes  4-6 hours on my system, and wouldn't complete
KZ> before the normally scheduled backup. I am doing 'amadmin
KZ> DailySet1 force admin //db/f$' for tonight's backup.

the second line would just dump the DLE given, //db/f$.

SYNOPSIS
       amdump config [ host [ disk ]* ]*

Stefan.