Amanda-Users

Re: Dealing with a dump too big

2004-06-21 12:50:05
Subject: Re: Dealing with a dump too big
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: KEVIN ZEMBOWER <KZEMBOWE AT jhuccp DOT org>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 18:44:40 +0200
KEVIN ZEMBOWER wrote:

The disk F: on the NT server is indeed 13G in size, but I didn't
think that would be a problem, since I excluded //db/f$/inetsrv,
which is 9.1G. This filesystem, which I just backup for the first
time last run, backed up at level 0 just fine:

There is a bug in the estimate for samba clients.
It used to be that amanda started smbclient -T and just flushed
the output in /dev/null for the estimate phase.
That was very very slow.  Then the implementation was changed
to use the smbclient builtin 'du' command to do the estimate.
That's very fast now.
The bug you're hitting is that that builtin 'du' command
does not know about excludes.  The estimate for the full dump
does include everything.   The real run not :-)

My questions are:
1. What's the long term solution to this problem? Have I done
something wrong in the amanda.conf or disklist files?

Jean-Louis is working on a generalized "quick-and-dirty" estimate,
that is based on the statistics of the previous runs.  That could
would help in your case.  I have no idea about the current status.
(You asked for 'long term' :-) )

2. Is there anything I can do right now, before the nightly normal
run, to get a level 0 backup of just this share?

As dirty trick would be to change your tapetype and fake a larger
tape size.  As long as you don't overflow your real tape, that would
at least get around the problem "dump larger than tapesize" for this
particular backup image.  (But lying to Amanda is in general not
such a good idea.  Keep your eyes open for other unexpected results!)