Amanda-Users

Re: dump larger than tape

2004-06-21 04:54:25
Subject: Re: dump larger than tape
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Iulian Topliceanu <iulian.topliceanu AT net-m DOT de>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 10:37:12 +0200
Iulian Topliceanu wrote:

I'm running amtapetype right now but it might take some time (days maybe)

You did read the man-page where it states:

... The -e flag is there to keep the number of file marks down
because they can be slow (since they force the drive to
flush all its buffers to physical media).

For a 40 Gbyte drive, you should:

        amtapetype -e 40g -f /dev/...

Instead of days, it takes 4-7 hours maybe (time to write a full
tape twice).

I see:

Writing 256 Mbyte compressable data: 35 sec
Writing 256 Mbyte uncompresabble data: 105 sec

How do I set hardware compression on in my amanda.conf? Or where do I set it on?

1. You already have hardware compression on.

2. There is no parameter in amanda.conf to turn it on.
It is very OS-specific how to turn it off.
   See also (for linux):
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=amanda-users&m=105370407826462&w=2
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=amanda-users&m=97671505027309&w=2

3. You better set hw-compr off when using software compression at the
same time (or your tape capacity will be 20% lower).  Look in the
archives for the eternal disucussion about the advantages and disadvantages of software vs hardware compression.
For a start read:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=amanda-users&m=108150730118379&w=2