Amanda-Users

Re: dump larger than tape

2004-06-20 19:02:37
Subject: Re: dump larger than tape
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2004 17:40:51 -0400
On Sun, Jun 20, 2004 at 09:41:59PM +0200, Iulian Topliceanu wrote:
> I'm running amtapetype right now but it might take some time (days maybe)
>
> I see:
>
> Writing 256 Mbyte compressable data: 35 sec
> Writing 256 Mbyte uncompresabble data: 105 sec
>
> How do I set hardware compression on in my amanda.conf? Or where do I
> set it on?
>

>From that, I think you already have HW compression on.

Actually for runing amtapetype you want it off.

Setting it varies with the OS and the hardware.

Your hardware may first require configuration switch settings
to allow it to be switched on and off.

Your mt command may have options for switching HW compression
on and off.

Your OS tape driver may have a config file specifying the default.

Your selection of a tape device may specify on and off.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)