Amanda-Users

Re: I got Errors when I tried to run amcheck

2004-06-05 09:28:54
Subject: Re: I got Errors when I tried to run amcheck
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2004 09:24:50 -0400
On Saturday 05 June 2004 07:09, Andreas Moser wrote:

[and I snipped]

Please find and remove any amanda executables now installed.  Leave
the configs as is, they can be fixed later.

The proceedure I use to build a bulletproof amanda install, and I do
this everytime Jean-Louis releases a new snapshot, is as follows:

1. Get the tarball and put it in the /home/amanda directory.
2.  As root, unpack it with a "tar xzvf tarball.name.gz"
3.  As root, copy this short shell script into the unpacked.dirname.
-----------------------
#!/bin/sh
# since I'm always forgetting to su amanda...
if [ `whoami` != 'amanda' ]; then
        echo
        echo "!!!!!!!!!!!! Warning !!!!!!!!!!!!"
        echo "Amanda needs to be configured and built by the user amanda,"
        echo "but must be installed by user root."
        echo
        exit 1
fi
make clean
rm -f config.status config.cache
./configure --with-user=amanda \
        --with-group=disk \
        --with-owner=amanda \
        --with-tape-device=/dev/nst0 \
        --with-changer-device=/dev/sg1 \
        --with-gnu-ld --prefix=/usr/local \
        --with-debugging=/tmp/amanda-dbg/ \
        --with-tape-server=coyote.coyote.den \
        --with-amandahosts \
        --with-configdir=/usr/local/etc/amanda

make
--------------------------
Save that out and set the exec bit with a "chmod +x
whatever.you.named.it".  If you don't have a changer, or are not
using chg-scsi, comment or remove that line.  If your non-rewinding
tape device isn't /dev/nst0, change that too.  The
--with-tape-server= can be either the FQDN of the machine, or its ip
address as long as it isn't localhost/127.0.0.1.  The FQDN must be
exactly as used in the /etc/hosts file and in the disklist, and
in .amandahosts.  Aliases are fine too as long as you use them
uniformly.

4. As root, still in /home/amanda,
 "chown -R amanda:disk unpacked.directories.name"
5. become the user amanda with an
 "su amanda"
6. cd unpacked.dirname
7. exec the above script with a
 "./whatever.you.named.it"
8. hit a ctrl d to exit the su amanda & become root again
9. cd to that directory again, and
 "make install"
10. Do an
 "ldconfig"
to update the library lists the os keeps.

Only with this proceedure will you arive at the proper perms etc on
all the parts of amanda, and do it automaticly everytime.

Next, we want to see the output of an "amcheck configname" done by the
user amanda.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
by Gene Heskett are: