Amanda-Users

Re: I got Errors when I tried to run amcheck

2004-06-04 13:12:47
Subject: Re: I got Errors when I tried to run amcheck
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Andreas Moser <info AT moserandreas DOT de>
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2004 19:09:07 +0200
Andreas Moser wrote:

./configure --with-user=amanda\
--with-group=users\

--with-group=disk   is better and needed in case you want to backup
with dump instead of gnutar.

--with-configdir=/etc/amanda\
--with-config=daily\
--with-gnutar=/bin/tar\
--without-client

(Why bother to save to few bytes on disk by specifying --without-client
Besides you probably want to backup the server too? do you?  The
server is a client to itself too.  Just nitpicking here.  You could
have valid reasons to omit the client.)

make make check make install

Just verifying: you did "su" before "make install".  It needs
to be done as root!

Then I create a holding disk for AMANDA: /home/dumps/

Fine.  But why not calling it "/home/holdingdisk"?
See below: you're mixing up "virtual tapes" with "holdingdisk".
They are both on disk, but they are a complete different beast.
Moreover, amanda likes to be only to write in the directory specified
by holdingdisk.  She will complain about everyting found there that
is not a "holdingdisk file", even "virtual tapes".

Now it was time to configure the amanda.conf (I write an arrow before every line, which I changed):
dumpcycle 4 weeks    # the number of days in the normal dump cycle
->runspercycle 1          # the number of amdump runs in dumpcycle days
            # (4 weeks * 5 amdump runs per week -- just weekdays)

you plan to do a backup once each four weeks?

->tapecycle 6         # the number of tapes in rotation

runtapes 1        # number of tapes to be used in a single run of amdump
->tpchanger "chg-disk"    # the tape-changer glue script
->tapedev "file:/home/dumps/"    # the no-rewind tape device to be used

See here you mixup the holdingdisk with the "virtual tapes".
Put them in a different directory.

holdingdisk hd1 {
   comment "main holding disk"
->    directory "/home/dumps/"    # where the holding disk is

Choose a different directory e.g. /home/amanda-hold

   use 290 Mb        # how much space can we use on it

That's not much!! Was that the default value?

[...]

Finally I tried the command su amanda -c "amcheck daily" to check my current config. But I got two ERRORS.
How can I correct this ERRORS?

Amanda Tape Server Host Check
-----------------------------
ERROR: program /usr/local/libexec/planner: not executable

Did you run "make install" as root?

Holding disk /home/dumps/: 19508000 KB disk space available, that's plenty
amcheck-server: slot 6: not an amanda tape
amcheck-server: slot 1: not an amanda tape
amcheck-server: slot 2: not an amanda tape
amcheck-server: slot 3: not an amanda tape
amcheck-server: slot 4: not an amanda tape
amcheck-server: slot 5: not an amanda tape
ERROR: new tape not found in rack
      (expecting a new tape)

That's strange!!  Can't see the error now.
We probably need more info.  Or maybe it's a result of the
previous problem too.

Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
ERROR: salty: could not resolve hostname

You clearly have a DNS-problem too, or maybe it's also the
a consequence of the first problem, that resulted in
planner not being executable.

I'm sorry. I describe a big part of my installation, but I think it is easier to you to understand what I made.

I would first dig into the question what went wrong with installing
planner (and probably other programs too).
Planner has to be suid-root (other programs too).  This can only be
correct if "make install" was done as root.